After I made my bleached shorts (find them here), I guess you could say I went a little bleach mad, and wanted badly to bleach something again. Whilst living life, I found myself interesting in trying to tie dye with bleach, and decided to give it a shot. Needless to say, I absolutely LOVED the results.
Bucket of water
First, on a clean surface, lay out the sweater completely flat.
Once you have the sweater flat, carefully fold the sweater accordion style, side to side. (Be sure to fold the arms in as well, and leave the hood unfolded.)
Wrap the rubber bands around the sweater, being careful to keep the folded shape.
Once you have the rubber bands on, you can pull out any of the folds so that you can see each layer.
Once you have your rubber banded sweater (rubber banded? Did I just make a verb?), you can set up a work station outside to bleach. Be sure to keep a bucket full of water near by, this is so you can quickly put the sweater in water to stop the bleaching process.
Pour about a cup of bleach into the small bowl. While wearing gloves - super important - use a sponge dipped in bleach to create lines in between the rubber bands. I found it helps to really soak the section your bleaching so some of the bleach goes in between the layers, this makes for an interesting design. Do both sides of the sweater.
When you reach the coloring desired, you can cut the rubber bands off the sweater and submerge it into the water for a couple of minutes. Squeeze off excess water and wash it by itself.
A nice little backside shot.
This is definitely my favorite sweater. This is gonna be my go-to beach sweater, I can see it now...A nice little beach bonfire, lots of people chilling eating hot dogs, and staring at me and my beautiful sweater, thinking about how jealous they are of my awesome sweater....tehee. I really love it, I only hope more people try it! You don't have to just bleach jeans, get creative with it.
And yes, those are the shorts I bleached and distressed. :)
If you've tried tie dyeing a sweater, I'd love to hear how it turned out!